Recent CMS modification allows more flexibility in certified EHR technology for 2014. Participation by providers will likely increase as will the ability to meet objectives such as e-prescribing, reporting quality measures and checking lists of drug interactions and drug allergies.
Eligible providers can use the 2011 Edition CEHRT or a combination of 2011 and 2014 Edition CEHRT for the 2014 reporting period for EHR Incentive Programs. Providers who participated with EHR Incentive Programs in 2011 will meet criteria for 3 years of Stage 1 and will begin Stage 2 in 2014. If the provider did not start the Program in 2011, only 2 years of Stage 1 criteria will be met before moving to Stage 2. Starting in 2015, all eligible providers will be required to use the 2014 Edition CEHRT.
CMS has specification sheets on each Stage 2 Objective (17 core objectives and 3/6 menu objectives):
- Numerator and denominator thresholds
- Exclusion criteria
- Definition of important terms
- Requirements for achieving the objectives
- Certification information that corresponds with each objective
All providers will demonstrate meaningful use (MU) for a 3- month EHR reporting period in 2014 regardless of stage. Eligible professionals participate on calendar year and eligible hospitals / critical access hospitals participate on the fiscal year.
To meet Stage 2 MU criteria, the provider will do one of the following:
- Demonstrate Stage 1 MU 2013 with 2011 Edition CEHRT or combination of 2011 and 2014 Edition CEHRT
- Demonstrate Stage 1 MU 2014 with 2014 Edition CEHRT
- Demonstrate Stage 2 MU 2014 with 2014 Edition CEHRT
In 2014, the provider will also provide Clinical Quality Measures (CQMs):
- 2013 CQMs if using the 2011 Edition CEHRT for Stage 1 or 2
- 2013 CQMs or 2014 CQMs depending on which Edition of objectives they are reporting, if using combination of 2011 and 2014 for Stage 1 or 2
- 2014 CQMs if demonstrating Stage 1 or 2 with 2014 CEHRT